Re: [mizar] notes on isabelle vs. mizar

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008, Bartek wrote:

> Josef Urban wrote:
> > > ASCII editors are not good tools for
> > > presenting or authoring mathematics, formalized or
> > > not.
> >
> > I would agree with presenting, authoring is a different matter. The Mizar
> > team even went from nonASCII-allowed to ASCII-only couple of years ago for
> > purely practical reasons, and people got used very quickly to "in" instead
> > of the \epsilon character.
> Josef, Slawomir is right. For authoring mathematics: still a blackboard or
> sheet of paper rule:)))

I agree.  A whiteboard is also quite nice -- only the classical one
*without* printout facilities.

> Of course, ASCII editors for writing less-formal (or as you prefer
> non-formal) mathematics in LaTeX are the most popular. This is the one
> and only way to do this since this is what journals accept. Even if some
> crazy guy uses tools like ScientificWorkPlace, he ends up correcting the
> source using notepad in order to meet the journal requirements (I really
> know some of these guys).

The Isabelle sources are essentially a stylized version of formal LaTeX.
As a side effect of formal processing you get real LaTeX.  By providing an
appropriate header (with document class setup, macro definitions) you get
a publishable document.  We have routinely used this system for several
years to produce articles for conferences /journals, and theses / books,
as well as presentations (e.g. using foiltex).

	Makarius